Areas of Practice
Heppenheimer & Korpal is experienced in all types of real estate transactions and can assist you with all your real estate matters. We understand the language, the contracts, what needs to be done to complete the transaction, and most importantly the laws that apply to your transaction. Whether you are buying or selling a commercial or residential property, we will work to meet your goals and protect your assets.
- Commercial and residential transactions
- Review of title insurance
James Korpal is a knowledgeable Criminal Lawyer. He has severed as a public defender in St. Joseph County since 1999 and has held the position of the Chief Public Defender. James is a skilled negotiator and works well with the lawyers and judges in the community. Combined with 37 years in experience in criminal defense, Mr. Korpal knows criminal and penal laws, he knows your rights, and you should too. He takes the time to learn the facts and how the laws apply to properly advise you on options and outcomes.
Common Criminal Matters:
- Operating while intoxicated
- Drug-related offenses
- Driver’s license issues
- 1st Amendment matters
- White Collar Crime
Business & Corporations
Mitch has over 30 years of experiences working with business and corporations of all sizes starting with incorporation formation. Mitch can assist you in your business transactions including buying or selling the corporation or business assets. Mitch’s accounting background proves to be a great asset in assisting in financial matters of small businesses.
Common Business Matters:
- Formation of LLC (Limited Liability Corporation)
- Formation of Subchapter S Corporation
- Formation and operation of sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations, limited liability corporations and other entities
- Purchase or sale of businesses
- Business agreements
- General legal representation
- Agreements between stockholders, partners, and members
- Purchase of business assets
- Employment agreements
- Contracts with suppliers
- Contracts with customers
Estate Matters & Planning
Mitch has extensive knowledge in estate planning. Not only can he prepare the necessary documents for your estate plan, he is prepared to go to court for you. Many lawyers can advertise creating the documents, but Mitch has years of court room practice with estate administration, will contests, lawsuits, and disputes regarding estates. A large part of estate administration involves accounting and Mitch has an ell-encompassing background in accounting.
Common Estate Matters:
- General Powers of Attorney
- Healthcare Powers of Attorney
- Living Wills
- Administration of estates
- Administration of Guardianships
- Will Contest
Mitch and James have the legal knowledge and in court room experience to assist you in any matter relating to family law. They listen to your issues and concerns and help you to achieve the best possible result through negotiation, mediation or court room litigation.
Mitch and James have experience handling simple or complex matters having to do with property, assets, children, custody, parenting time, and all other domestic relations issues.
- Marital dissolutions (divorce)
- Parenting time (visitation)
- Child support issues
- Spousal maintenance
- Parenting time (visitation)
- Child Support
Alcoholic Beverage Practice
Mitch has represented restaurants, package stores, hotels, grocery/commerce stores, pharmacy, breweries and wineries, and other businesses dealing with their Alcohol and Beverage permit matters and other legal issues. When you need a liquor license in Indiana, you know to call Mitch.
Common Matters Include:
- Representing restaurants, retailers, dealers (package stores), drug stores, hotels, grocery stores, fraternal associations and clubs
- Purchasing and selling of alcoholic beverage permits and establishments with alcoholic beverage permits
- Relations with Indiana Alcohol & Beverage Tobacco Commission
- Representations concerning violations
Mitch and Jim have several years in trial experience. Basic lawyers can help you with transactions, but there is special knowledge and experience that can only be obtained in trials and jury trials. Mitch and Jim are strong advocates for their clients because of the special skills developed and practiced in trial settings. They are able to articulate their positions confidently and persuasively to judges, highlight the strong points, mitigate the weak points, and maintain a professional demeanor at all times. Their confidence and reputations in this area are valuable resources to resolving disputes and obtaining fair settlements.
Common Civil Litigation Matters
- Trials in Indiana and Federal Courts in area of business
- Contract disputes
- Real estate
Mediation & Arbitration
Mediation and Arbitration is a form of alternative dispute resolution. A cost effective process established and used to settle legal disputes outside of court. Each party presents with their respective legal counsel to settle the matter through a civil mediator. Mitch and Jim prepare for, participate in, and represent clients in mediation and arbitration.